GUEST BLOG: Mapping Washington DC's Outdoor Art

UPDATE:  6/18/2015  Content & Photos
Badwolfdc: Thank You to Everyone who passed information to Michael so that updates could be added - keep-em coming

Michael:  "I updated the map significantly"
Photograph by Michael Antonucci
Map Revision #1
I've updated the previously mentioned city map of outdoor art based on reader feedback and my research.  I described items I haven't seen mapped or discussed before.  An external link and a picture of two cover the more well-worn ground.  (All photography copyright Michael Antonucci 2015.)

1. MarketSW Shipping Containers : Waterfront

Pop-up art space Market SW hosted a live painting events in May 2015.  Two painted shipping containers remain close to the metro station, within line-of-sight of the Arena Stage.  They're the canvas for works by MissCheLove and MasPaz.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133462823@N06/18683441299/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133462823@N06/18872396731/

2. Capital Fringe Box Office: Get Turnt : H Street

The former R. L. Christian library site makes up for what it lacks in grandeur with dramatic costume changes.  On 6/15/15, it transformed from a 5x5 art installation space into the new box office for Capital Fringe. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133462823@N06/18864417512/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133462823@N06/18843341046/


Corrections or additions go to Michael Antonucci - antonucci23@gmail.com or @antonucci42 on Instagram .   Thanks
ORIGINAL POST:

Below is a guest blog by Michael Antonucci. Michael has created an awesome map of DC's Outdoor Art. I have already used it, (I pulled the map up on my phone) and also checked out some street art that I have not seen, but will now visit,  so cool. 
Check out Michael's Map - you only need access to Google Maps

                                                                                                                                                 


Hey y'all - long time reader, first time poster. I had some time on my hands, so decided to photograph and map a cross-section of DC outdoor art, particularly street art. I've seen similar maps before, but they've always seemed a little sparse. They're also rarely updated.
It's not comprehensive, because that's impossible. At 219 items, though, it's more detailed than others I've seen. I hope the map can continue to improve as a community project.

Here's the link - https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zJG_F6Jn86SU.kF1KiAWc4RDo&usp=sharing


and the color key...

  • Orange = mural
  • Yellow = several murals, multiple artists
  • Purple = other public art that couldn't be classified as a mural - sculptures, private garage doors, cool lawn displays.
  • Light Purple = sculptural projects in a series (Give Me a Vote, pandas, callboxes)
  • Green = art attached to a garden site
  • Blue = tags or multiple tags, in tag galleries

Notes and disclaimers:


1. This isn't comprehensive. Selections were made on the basis of serendipity. They don't reflect any particular aesthetic criteria on my part.


2. This isn't guaranteed accurate. At all. Coordinates are necessarily approximate. Mistakes happen. Also, public art is often transitory; works get painted over or taken down all the time. I intend to add a "graveyard" category for vanished murals.


I've often had to guess and assign my own titles to untitled work. Previous postings have been integral for my research. I've included links to artists and previous researchers whenever possible. If I had full info on every piece, though, I'd be publishing a book as opposed to crowdsourcing.

3. If anyone wants me to add things, send in a picture, accurate coordinates, and a correct photo credit and I'll do my best to include your submission. Contact me at antonucci23@gmail.com or on Instagram - antonucci42.

4. All photographs original, with the exception of the Dupont Circle mural and Kelly Towles' mural on Bladensburg. All original photos taken in the past month. All original photos copyrighted 2015 by Michael Antonucci.


5. Important note: this is a community blog, so respect the different artists and their communities. Be polite if you're looking at a private residence. If you're an aspiring or beginning graffiti artist, remember that tagging over someone's work is super rude behavior. I'd like more young artists to get recognition, but I don't want to just drop a nuclear bomb on hidden spots.

Thanks for checking it out, and thanks to Badwolfdc for giving me a platform to publish this stuff.



Comments

Most Popular This Week