SHAW: New Endeavors By Women Offers Hope to Homeless Women to Overcome Barriers

Quietly going about its business NEBW on N Street NW
In March of 2014, nestled off 7th Street in Shaw, a new building was dedicated that expanded an already successful program for homeless women. The New Endeavors By Women, which opened its doors in 1988 (at the same location), through its programs and services have helped more than 3,000 women and children take steps toward achieving greater self-sufficiency and independence.
Photo by "CORE"  Upper Floor leads to living quarters
"We grew to include housing programs for other populations of underserved homeless women: the chronically homeless—those who have experienced homelessness for much of their lives; HIV-positive women; young mothers under age 25; mothers reunifying with their children; and, women with mental illness and substance dependency. More than twenty years later, NEBW's programs and services are even more vital and urgently-needed, as homeless women and children in the District face the most daunting climb out of homelessness ever seen in recent history."
Color-coded 'pods' with 6 rooms and central shared area
I was fortunate to be invited by NEBW Board Member Rachelle Nigro to a recent open house, and saw first hand the amazing work that is done there. During my visit I had the opportunity to Speak with Wanda Steptoe, Executive Director at New Endeavors by Women, and I learned that the center's staff and its unique approach to its resident's is very much part of its success;
Ms Steptoe explained "I have been with NEBW for almost ten years and it has been a blessing to be a part of an organization that is committed to serving and making a difference in the lives of women and children who are homeless. I believe one of the reasons we have been so successful in partnering with women to create new futures is the dedication of our staff who are willing to go beyond their position descriptions to meet our ladies where they are. Because those we serve are unique, we use an individualized approach to service. We asses our ladies when they come to us to determine the best approach to help them move out of homelessness. We then work with them to establish a written plan to establish their goals."
At the N Street facility, NEBW have their 24-month transitional housing program for women. Many residents have serious health concerns and have lived without stable housing for much of their lives. We offer specialized support to help "New Transitions" residents obtain suitable employment and appropriate long-term housing. Each woman works with a case manager to develop a treatment plan individualized to help each women meet her goal of becoming self-reliant. Residents also voluntarily receive a variety of tailored support services provided by NEBW staff, interns and volunteers, including medical and mental care, legal services, and assistance with personal finances, time management, and goal-setting. The facility houses 24 women (transitional) 4 women (permanent)
I had the opportunity to chat with one of NEBW's ex-residents, PLW, about her experience, these are her words
"As a result of my personal experiences and overcoming several “perceived” insurmountable odds, returning home from incarceration in 2007, I began a new life’s journey.On this journey, several roads were traveled beginning with New Endeavors by Women transitional housing. At my first individualized case management meeting, I shared my goals to reunify with my son (who was living with family in Philadelphia), continue my education and return to an independent, self-sufficient, thriving lifestyle. With this information, my case manager introduced me to the key players that would assist me with these identified goals.As a result of giving birth to my son during incarceration, I was anxious to begin the reunification and bonding with my son. As a result, of NEBW’s encouragement and constant affirmations, I am humbly grateful to share several milestones.I received full legal primary and physical custody of my son on February 2, 2012 after a successful reunification transition.In addition, with respect to my education dreams, I received my Bachelor of Science in Psychology and Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Care, from University of Maryland, University College May 2012.Currently, I attend The Catholic University, National Catholic School of Social Services, pursuing my Masters degree in Social Work and subsequent licensure as a Licensed Independent Social Worker.My hope is to establish a Women’s Re-Entry Resource Center."
As an example this is on the upper end, but it shows what is achievable, and it shows that NEBW's approach works. At it's base-line NEBW offers hope to overcome the barriers thrown up to a segment of our community that is often forgotten, and when it's working the goal of self reliance is achievable   .

Special Thanks to Ms Wanda Steptoe for your time and explaining to me about NEBW
                          PLW. Thank you for your honesty - you truly rock!
                          Rachelle Nigro for the invitation and introducing me to NEBW

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular This Week